I have been learning about doubleweave pickup thanks to Jennifer Moore's book on doubleweave and an older article that she published in Handwoven magazine.  It is definitely a time-consuming process, but I am thrilled by the pictorial possibilities for it.  I first experimented with it using the 4-shaft table loom that I already had setup for double weave using left-over 20/2 cotton from my last warp at Penland.  I was able to learn the basics from the examples in the book.  I then decided that I really wanted to experiment with a strong contrast image.  To do so, I took a photo of myself and processed it digitally to create a VERY high contrast version and pixelated it to create a grid for the width of the image I wanted to weave.

For this experiment, I used 10/2 mercerized cotton on an 8-shaft baby mac loom.  Using the 8 shaft loom, I was able to further experiment with using a twill-treadling to further emphasize the two layers.

I am very excited by the possibilities of this technique and by my results so far.

The final piece was shown in Asheville, NC at the Blue Ridge Fiber Show where it won Second Place in Amateur Weaving in the decorative non-functional category.  The show runs through January 2, 2013 at the North Carolina Arboretum.

Update February 2014: This piece has just been accepted into Complexity 2014.

Joomla templates by a4joomla