Well, I finished weaving the sample.  I decided to try adding a band of weft using the same yarn as the warp.  I was hoping to be able to use that as a border on the blankets to dress them up a little more.  I wanted to get some of it woven in the sample so that I could see how it would wash-up compared to the chenille.  I really like the way that it looks.  I cut the sample off of the loom.  I then used a zigzag stitch to secure the edges.  When weaving samples, I have been trying to keep one sample as it comes off of the loom and then another sample that shows how it washes up.  To do this, I run two more zigzag stitches through the sample so that I can cut it again. This time, I wanted to see how the folded edge washed up so I cut a smaller non-wash sample and put the majority of the sample through the wet finishing process.  I then washed the sample in the washing machine on the gentle cycle using both cold wash & rinse and a little bit of detergent.  I let it finish spinning before I placed it in the dryer until it was mostly dry.  

 

I was very happy to see how well it washed up.  There was no damage in the wash and the fuzz in the dryer vent was minimal.  It seem that the set is about right and while the cotton spaced dyed yarn shrunk a little less than the cotton chenille in the weft, I think it is within the acceptable limits so I am going to include that border in the blankets.

Last night, I started on the first blanket.  I am being much more careful with my weaving to avoid mistakes that I will have to correct later.  (My sample had a number of errors in it - partly due to getting used to working with a boat shuttle again.  My wonderful husband got me one for Christmas).  I was also able to figure out how to use the floating selvage on the folded side to keep it from getting woven into the blanket.  I am hoping that this will improve the final folded edge over the results I got in the sample.

Click here for more photos. 

Joomla templates by a4joomla