Chiaroscuro Self-PortraitI have been learning about doubleweave pickup thanks to Jennifer Moore's book on doubleweave and an older article that she published in Handwoven magazine.  It is definitely a time-consuming process, but I am thrilled by the pictorial possibilities for it.  I first experimented with it using the 4-shaft table loom that I already had setup for double weave using left-over 20/2 cotton from my last warp at Penland.  I was able to learn the basics from the examples in the book.  I then decided that I really wanted to experiment with a strong contrast image.  To do so, I took a photo of myself and processed it digitally to create a VERY high contrast version and pixelated it to create a grid for the width of the image I wanted to weave.
For this experiment, I used 10/2 mercerized cotton on an 8-shaft baby mac loom.  Using the 8 shaft loom, I was able to further experiment with using a twill-treadling to further emphasize the two layers.
I am very excited by the possibilities of this technique and by my results so far.  I still need to cut the resulting piece off of the loom, wet-finish it and find an appropriate way to display it.  I will post again with a finished piece.

Baby BlanketsSo, there are more babies on the way... in the family and for a co-worker.  As gifts for the new little ones, I once again wove some primary colored blankets.  This time in a 7-shaft waffle-weave to give them a really yummy texture.  I used a 3/2 mercerized cotton this time and bound the blanket edges with a matching yellow cotton fabric.  This was my first time cutting bias strips to use to make the binding and I am very pleased with the way they turned out.  Hopefully they will hold up to the heavy use that I hope they will see!

Wall Sculpture - photo credit: Dina RossiThis project was very much an experiment that I learned a lot from.  I made the mistake of using embroidery floss for both warp and weft in this project.  Doing so managed to increase the complexity and annoyance of executing the project without an equal amount of benefit.

I did however get to put some of the skills and ideas to work that I learned/dreamt up at Penland last year in Amy Putansu's class.  Overall, I am pleased with the results of the experiment and I look forward to further refining it to produce a wall sculpture that I am even more pleased with.

Things to repeat:

  • Using wired embroidery floss as floating selvedges
  • Interchanging the layers
  • 'sewing' the ends through a stretched canvas

Things to try next:

  • Discontinuous layers
  • Layers that align on one side
  • Pickup design to create subtle design elements

Finished GiraffeDespite the fact that I haven't posted here for a while, I have been busy making work.  Before Christmas, my mom and I did another joint project from Weaving A Zoo.  This time, we made the elephants as presents for all the grandkids/nieces/nephews.  I switched the draft for this one because I couldn't get the yarn that the book called for.  I think they turned out well.

Joomla templates by a4joomla