I have been learning about doubleweave pickup thanks to Jennifer Moore's book on doubleweave and an older article that she published in Handwoven magazine.  It is definitely a time-consuming process, but I am thrilled by the pictorial possibilities for it.  I first experimented with it using the 4-shaft table loom that I already had setup for double weave using left-over 20/2 cotton from my last warp at Penland.  I was able to learn the basics from the examples in the book.  I then decided that I really wanted to experiment with a strong contrast image.  To do so, I took a photo of myself and processed it digitally to create a VERY high contrast version and pixelated it to create a grid for the width of the image I wanted to weave.

For this experiment, I used 10/2 mercerized cotton on an 8-shaft baby mac loom.  Using the 8 shaft loom, I was able to further experiment with using a twill-treadling to further emphasize the two layers.

I am very excited by the possibilities of this technique and by my results so far.

The final piece was shown in Asheville, NC at the Blue Ridge Fiber Show where it won Second Place in Amateur Weaving in the decorative non-functional category.  The show runs through January 2, 2013 at the North Carolina Arboretum.

Update February 2014: This piece has just been accepted into Complexity 2014.

This is another project done in double-weave twill pickup.  I designed this by creating contour lines from a model of the human heart and then shading in every other section.  This is really new work for me... I have started working with imagery of the human heart and while I have some understanding of what this imagery means to me, I am not yet able to fully vocalize it.  I am working on more imagery in this vein - so expect to see more on this site.

Baby BlanketsSo, there are more babies on the way... in the family and for a co-worker. As gifts for the new little ones, I once again wove some primary colored blankets. This time in a 7-shaft waffle-weave to give them a really yummy texture. I used a 3/2 mercerized cotton this time and bound the blanket edges with a matching yellow cotton fabric. This was my first time cutting bias strips to use to make the binding and I am very pleased with the way they turned out. Hopefully they will hold up to the heavy use that I hope they will see!

photo credit: Dina RossiThis project was very much an experiment that I learned a lot from.  I made the mistake of using embroidery floss for both warp and weft in this project.  Doing so managed to increase the complexity and annoyance of executing the project without an equal amount of benefit.
I did however get to put some of the skills and ideas to work that I learned/dreamt up at Penland last year in Amy Putansu's class.  Overall, I am pleased with the results of the experiment and I look forward to further refining it to produce a wall sculpture that I am even more pleased with.
Things to repeat:

Joomla templates by a4joomla